X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticksman
    replied
    Originally posted by Crazy Uncle Oceanus View Post

While, i only started playing this game literally the day the UW update came out, i am a veteran of games of this genre. And first of all i must say that Leroy and the staff should gwt more love. I was very surprised that the devs actually take time for us on a smaller scale game. I was expecting shady foreigners.

We live in a world of predatory, cash grabbing City-builders and this is one of the few i’ve seen where the devs actually seem to care about the players and the games quality. As much as everyone complains otherwise, it could be so much worse.

First of all theres no realistic paywall in this game. All of you complaining that gem costs are too high, have no idea. Yes i realize most things cost starting at 2k to 10k, and i would estimate probably reaching 30-50k on average by the endgame. Gemming should not be a crutch, it should not be easy to throw money at a game and reach the top, if they made prices lower, every idiot with a few bucks to spend could crush the entire rest of the F2P community easily.
    It may be frustrating to save up gems to such higher numbers but at least you have a way to earn gems for free at all. And its reasonably fast too, in a few months time i will have amassed enough gems for almost every single cityscape, a new hero or two, and possibly a couple in UW. We make about 25 a day plus level-ups and quests, it’s enough to get by. To buy your way to the top you would probably need about $50,000 and at that point you’d deserve it for supporting the game. It’s a supplement not a shortcut.

The balance in this game is more or less fine, theres not a single game made thats ever reached perfect balance, this one’s no exception. I routinely defeat opponents 20-30 levels above me and theres generally only two reasons for that. 1: They have very poor defense layouts. 2: (and more often) i worked very hard on my attack and timed and planned very carefully. Every city has a weakness and if you dont take Defense seriously or treat it like a secondary game feature, then its no surprise your getting defeated. The lvl 120+ in my alliance are constantly screaming and whining about nerfing or gembuyers or OP heroes, but the fact of the matter is when they post their replays so we can bear witness to the “unfairness” its them screwing up and making mistakes. Failing to prioritize key targets, ignoring spartan academies, missing Monuments or Heroes juiced up on aphrodite or ares houses. This game is so dynamic that there will never be a foolproof base or unbeatable pantheon, so learn to deal with loss, its gonna come alot, competition isnt easy especially at high level, what was anyone expecting? Just be grateful attack/defense is only for trophies and bragging rights and dont lose massive chunks of resources and gold like in most similar games when you take a loss. Lots of losses, from people you TRULY cant beat because they bought premium and paid for armies that costs thousands in real money.

I dont see that here, so as far as i can tell its a solid game, good work devs.

Yeah games got some issues, Artemis and Paris need some tweaking, the game could really use a proper guide on some of the more technical and nitty gritty by aspects. Im used to doing all sorts of number crunches and calculTions from the jump, but alot of newbie or younger players no doubt struggle understanding the game. Alot of people dont seem to understand how Houses work lmao. The forum could really use a search function, took me quite a bit of digging to find out some of the games finer points, like the exact algorithm for when defensive troops dropped in your base bu allies, get lvl up for their first cosmetic overhaul. But i found it! And one of the devs had actually bothered to go dig it up and post it.

I get the impression this game is ran as a passion project by a relatively small team of people, they cant just dropped changes to the code and forums willy nilly. So why dont we cut some slack.

Oh and for the record i enjoy UW and Defense is my number one source of income for Gold, earning 3-4x more daily profit than i get from attacking.

Just my two cents.
    Just play for another two years! If you weren't here before the update then you have no idea what the game was like previously, it was much better. Comparisons with other games are irrelevant as there is no comparable game. Coming here to tell experienced players about the game is stunningly arrogant.

Leave a comment:

• Seaweed
    replied
    Why doesn't the game do much advertising tho? I feel like they would earn a lot of money from new player if they do so.

Leave a comment:

• JKs
    replied
    well said, that was some nice insight to the game

Leave a comment:

• Crazy Uncle Oceanus
    replied
    Originally posted by leroy View Post

I have always and still read every post.

leroy
    While, i only started playing this game literally the day the UW update came out, i am a veteran of games of this genre. And first of all i must say that Leroy and the staff should gwt more love. I was very surprised that the devs actually take time for us on a smaller scale game. I was expecting shady foreigners.

We live in a world of predatory, cash grabbing City-builders and this is one of the few i’ve seen where the devs actually seem to care about the players and the games quality. As much as everyone complains otherwise, it could be so much worse.

First of all theres no realistic paywall in this game. All of you complaining that gem costs are too high, have no idea. Yes i realize most things cost starting at 2k to 10k, and i would estimate probably reaching 30-50k on average by the endgame. Gemming should not be a crutch, it should not be easy to throw money at a game and reach the top, if they made prices lower, every idiot with a few bucks to spend could crush the entire rest of the F2P community easily.
    It may be frustrating to save up gems to such higher numbers but at least you have a way to earn gems for free at all. And its reasonably fast too, in a few months time i will have amassed enough gems for almost every single cityscape, a new hero or two, and possibly a couple in UW. We make about 25 a day plus level-ups and quests, it’s enough to get by. To buy your way to the top you would probably need about $50,000 and at that point you’d deserve it for supporting the game. It’s a supplement not a shortcut.

The balance in this game is more or less fine, theres not a single game made thats ever reached perfect balance, this one’s no exception. I routinely defeat opponents 20-30 levels above me and theres generally only two reasons for that. 1: They have very poor defense layouts. 2: (and more often) i worked very hard on my attack and timed and planned very carefully. Every city has a weakness and if you dont take Defense seriously or treat it like a secondary game feature, then its no surprise your getting defeated. The lvl 120+ in my alliance are constantly screaming and whining about nerfing or gembuyers or OP heroes, but the fact of the matter is when they post their replays so we can bear witness to the “unfairness” its them screwing up and making mistakes. Failing to prioritize key targets, ignoring spartan academies, missing Monuments or Heroes juiced up on aphrodite or ares houses. This game is so dynamic that there will never be a foolproof base or unbeatable pantheon, so learn to deal with loss, its gonna come alot, competition isnt easy especially at high level, what was anyone expecting? Just be grateful attack/defense is only for trophies and bragging rights and dont lose massive chunks of resources and gold like in most similar games when you take a loss. Lots of losses, from people you TRULY cant beat because they bought premium and paid for armies that costs thousands in real money.

I dont see that here, so as far as i can tell its a solid game, good work devs.

Yeah games got some issues, Artemis and Paris need some tweaking, the game could really use a proper guide on some of the more technical and nitty gritty by aspects. Im used to doing all sorts of number crunches and calculTions from the jump, but alot of newbie or younger players no doubt struggle understanding the game. Alot of people dont seem to understand how Houses work lmao. The forum could really use a search function, took me quite a bit of digging to find out some of the games finer points, like the exact algorithm for when defensive troops dropped in your base bu allies, get lvl up for their first cosmetic overhaul. But i found it! And one of the devs had actually bothered to go dig it up and post it.

I get the impression this game is ran as a passion project by a relatively small team of people, they cant just dropped changes to the code and forums willy nilly. So why dont we cut some slack.

Oh and for the record i enjoy UW and Defense is my number one source of income for Gold, earning 3-4x more daily profit than i get from attacking.

Just my two cents.

Leave a comment:

• Sticksman
    replied
    Originally posted by JKs View Post
    just have players decide which resources they gain from the challenges, end of problem :P
    Totally agree JK.

Leave a comment:

• JKs
    replied
    just have players decide which resources they gain from the challenges, end of problem :P

Leave a comment:

• Sticksman
    replied
    Originally posted by Kane2 View Post
    I am actually surprised myself Chris, thank you for your kind words. Never going to play OW- or mono- ever again.
    You are the first player I have heard say they like, let alone prefer to play, UW. As you play UW exclusively, would it not be better to make UW a separate game so that the rest of us can continue to enjoy playing Olympus exclusively? This sharing of gems and events between the two worlds is killing the game, more players left this week and more are threatening to follow them on my “Line” group.

Leave a comment:

• Kane2
    replied
    I am actually surprised myself Chris, thank you for your kind words. Never going to play OW- or mono- ever again.

Leave a comment:

• War Hammer
    replied
    Originally posted by Kane2 View Post
    As an underworld only player there’s nothing worse than getting perma-stunned by Paris. I‘d rather have heroes removed altogether. Shouldn’t matter since we aren’t
    supposed to care about defense in the first place
    Kane2 you are doing excellent in Underworld. I’m glad you found your niche within GoO.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Kane2
    replied
    As an underworld only player there’s nothing worse than getting perma-stunned by Paris. I‘d rather have heroes removed altogether. Shouldn’t matter since we aren’t supposed to care about defense in the first place

Leave a comment:

• Seaweed
    replied
    Just buff Paris to counter mono and problem solved.

Leave a comment:

• Clytemnestra
    replied
    Originally posted by War Hammer View Post

Building a solid city with billions upon billions of stone is a waste (defense is a frickin joke). I have seen a lvl 116 mono a lvl 155 and win. I got steam rolled by a lvl 124 that was solo last night. I just accept it now and have an understanding that it will always be this way. Offensive trophies is where it’s at, don’t waste time on defense. No matter how much stone you pour into a city, it doesn’t matter. 🤬
    I agree with others that it does depend on the skill of the attacker. Other important factors are your environment and their Patron. Some Patron Gods are far more efficient at destroying certain bases than others and certain environments can completely ruin people's strategies. Apollo, Artemis, and Hades bases can nearly ruin me, but I can routinely take down an Ares or Athena base twenty levels above me because my strategy relies on keeping my gods away from threats and chipping away at a base. This keeps Ares and Athena from being very effective against me, but the Artemis and Apollo and Hades deny me the luxury of that strategy (with range, healing back my damage, and having unstoppable troops respectively), forcing me into something my gods are less suited for.

I also see defence as a secondary consideration to attacking. From a developer standpoint, it's much more fun to rip through bases with your gods than log in and see a few victory banners because you won a defence. Remember that for you to win a defence, someone has to lose an attack, and the net boost of happiness is much lower that way. It keeps the average player happy to win more attacks, and that's what matters. From a player standpoint, even when you lose, you win. The goal of a defence should not be to win, but to do as much damage to gods as possible. Victory would be nice, but you still get gold just for being attacked, encouraging us to make our bases stronger without it being as personally upsetting to lose like it is with an attack. It's a side income stream and a fun way to have users generate content for the developers rather than them relying on generated or designed bases.

Leave a comment:

• JKs
    replied
    yaaay thanks leroy, btw I'm sure you're aware of this but there seems to be a problem with viewing the leaderboard ever since the last update. It gets frozen a lot and trophies keep getting switched between different ranking etc.

Leave a comment:

• leroy
    replied
    Originally posted by Fanusen View Post
    Yeah, it feels like we’ve been abandoned.
    I'm sorry you feel this way. I'm still here, and I have always been here.

leroy

Leave a comment:

• leroy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mario View Post
    I’ve requested several times if we can choose either OW or UW resources to receive / boost each round. I thought this works perfect for all players but I don’t think anyone cares and so am I now.
    We can't easily just make this happen. I do think this is a good idea but it will take another release to get a feature like this into the game.

leroy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X