Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Underworld or Chthonic World ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Underworld or Chthonic World ?

    In Greek mythology Chthon was another name for Earth (Gaia) but with a subterranean meaning thus Hades, Persephone and the 3 Erinyes (Furies) , Megaera / Alecto / Tisiphone , were all more frequentlty described as Chthonic deities than anything else.
    So an alternate name for underworld would be Chthonic World and the base in that world could be called a Chthonic base .
    The base in earth could be called Gaia base as Gaia was another name of Earth.
    Furthermore when Zeus Poseidon and Hades split up the world, Zeus got Air and Sky , Poseidon got the waters and Hades got the underworld . Gaia was left to all 3 according to their capabilities and was a place that all Gods could coexist etc .

    Therefore, just a thought for the devs to consider , underworld base could be renamed as Chthonic base and the earthly base as Gaia base .
    Game Over

  • #2
    Uh Gaia/Gaea was also a goddess, so that might not work.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi DM! This is good stuff.

      There is a lot of debate around here with regards to 'popular' names vs more historically accurate names and what we should use... We want the game to be historically/mythologically accurate, but we also want players to be familiar with as much of the terminology as possible. The most obvious example everyone refers to is Hercules (Roman) vs Heracles (Greek). Obviously we are a Greek game, but basically everyone (including Disney), always just (incorrectly) refers to Heracles in the Greek world as Hercules. So we did the same, even though there was a lot of debate about it when we released him. We still have a bunch of people that very understandably want to change it back to Heracles. Anyway, Chthonic/Gaia is kind of similar. It might make more sense, but it also might be less familiar and/or confusing to newer players or players that are less familiar with Greek mythology. But I'll certainly pass along the suggestion and let everyone argue about this too.

      leroy

      Comment


      • #4
        Wow I don’t know much about Greek mythology at all but I do enjoy the game, well I did until the update stopped me from playing 🤯

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Grace View Post
          Wow I don’t know much about Greek mythology at all but I do enjoy the game, well I did until the update stopped me from playing 🤯
          Don't worry, I believe a update will come out soon to fix any crash issues and maybe some other problems.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Athene View Post
            Uh Gaia/Gaea was also a goddess, so that might not work.
            Not quite . Is equivalent to Olympus being both a mountain and the heavenly resident of the Gods.

            Many things or concepts in Greek mythology have that dual purpose as pretty much everything that was important in Greek mythology is a God / Goddess.
            [Not just all celestial objects including Earth but important concepts too ( like the siblings : Victory , Force , Strength , Zeal ).]

            Therefore Gaia (earth) was infact the first Goddes , mother of the Titans and grandmother of Zeus , Hera, Hades , Poseidon etc but also the celestial body we all live on .

            Further more during the Olympian realm , Earth (Gaia) was worshiped mainly as the Goddess Demeter. (Demeter in Greek literary means "mother earth".
            Game Over

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by leroy View Post
              Hi DM! This is good stuff.

              There is a lot of debate around here with regards to 'popular' names vs more historically accurate names and what we should use... We want the game to be historically/mythologically accurate, but we also want players to be familiar with as much of the terminology as possible. The most obvious example everyone refers to is Hercules (Roman) vs Heracles (Greek). Obviously we are a Greek game, but basically everyone (including Disney), always just (incorrectly) refers to Heracles in the Greek world as Hercules. So we did the same, even though there was a lot of debate about it when we released him. We still have a bunch of people that very understandably want to change it back to Heracles. Anyway, Chthonic/Gaia is kind of similar. It might make more sense, but it also might be less familiar and/or confusing to newer players or players that are less familiar with Greek mythology. But I'll certainly pass along the suggestion and let everyone argue about this too.

              leroy
              Yes you are right about Hercules and Heracles, I am of those that like to use Heracles than Hercules, but I understand that Hercules being a much more familiar name to absolute majority of the players would be much more easily for players to identify with .
              I just mentioned Chthonic cause I was always fascinated about it and just as a thought.
              Personally I am really excited to see the 3 furies in the game . That was a big nice surprise for me .
              Their power and role in Mythology is intimidating , specially for mortals.
              For me is overwelming just to see the names of Alecto Tisiphone and Megaera in the game. 🙂
              Thank you for the amazing new content added in the game !
              Game Over

              Comment


              • #8
                Chthonic also makes sense, but calling the upperworld gaia is a bit weird. Gaia does mean earth, but Gaia was also a goddess.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Athene View Post
                  Uh Gaia/Gaea was also a goddess, so that might not work.
                  Actually, she was a primordial...
                  Not that this would tie in to the topic but I just wanted to point it out

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X