X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clytemnestra
    replied
    Originally posted by Unspeakable1 View Post
    Demeter houses should increase nectar or resource gain. Would fit with mythology and appease folks that want to attack more often.
    That is a fascinating dimension I never considered! A type of house or temple that doesn't necessarily contribute to defence, but still provides a benefit.

Leave a comment:

• Unspeakable1
    replied
    Demeter houses should increase nectar or resource gain. Would fit with mythology and appease folks that want to attack more often.

Leave a comment:

• Clytemnestra
    replied
    Originally posted by JKs View Post
    One of my alliance member was also a little bit disappointed for not seeing another female goddess being introduced. I think she is hoping for Demeter or Hestia.
    I wholeheartedly agree with your alliance member. While I can see Hestia being a worthwhile addition, the fact that Demeter has been ignored until now is an utter crime! And, with the addition of Persephone, there is no reason why she should not be the next Olympian god. Dionysus, Hestia, and Hephaestus can wait.

Leave a comment:

• JKs
    replied
    One of my alliance member was also a little bit disappointed for not seeing another female goddess being introduced. I think she is hoping for Demeter or Hestia.

Leave a comment:

• Clytemnestra
    replied
    Looking at the Underworld update, I must have some sort of ability to divine the future.

Both the Spring and Winter abilities (to freeze things like Tisiphone and give minor healing in a range like Megaera) ended up in the game. Of course these were thought up and made by the developers long before I first posted this, but to know I was on the right track with what might work is very interesting. Of course, this does mean I'll have to create a new idea for Demeter . . .

Poor thing. With this new Underworld, I suspect we won't be getting another Olympian for another few years.

Leave a comment:

• ChaosFromIMMORTALS
    replied
    Reap makes artemis hawk storm totally pointless

Leave a comment:

• SGop125
    replied
    Originally posted by Clytemnestra View Post
    Poor Demeter has been left out in the cold too long! Of course, it does makes some sense. The mythology surrounding her is varied and her powers are among the most eclectic of the Olympians. That still has not stopped me from having an entirely unqualified opinion of what she might be like in the game.

While not perfect, I do hope it stirs some sort of conversation around this forgotten gem. Please, do give comments and advice if there is any you care to give. I am far from a game developer and have tried to match these to the strengths of other abilities, but that is no guarantee these would work.

Demeter

Appearance: Whatever you will. Incorporate wheat somewhere, obviously. A preferably more natural fibre looking outfit in more earth tones with highlights of gold and a more flowing look. Capes are always appreciated (poor Hades is swishing all alone).

Weapon: A scythe, but with a glowing ranged energy orb like Aphrodite, Hades, Hermes, etc.

Concept: She's a ranged god who turns the world against her enemies.

Beginning Statistics:

Health - 7100 - 77,000
    Strength - 190 - 3,900
    Attack Rate - 1s
    Range - 550
    Speed - 19

Abilities:

1 Alt - Harvest - Demeter brings forth spawning patches of wheat fields in empty spaces around her that enemies cannot move through (similar to decorations that must be destroyed and distract troops). They remain in place until destroyed by defenders. Acting as a distraction method, I imagine the range would be rather short and the fields having a time they can pop up. In the vein of decorations, each field would have somewhere between 50 - 150 health. The power and unit health would increase at a higher rate than the area increases and recharge decreases.

(An alternative concept to this would be a lesser version of the number of fields created, but have them be indestructible/unnoticed by troops and have defenders able to pass through them, but slow the speed of those units passing through by a certain amount while they are in the fields.)

Power: 500 - 7500
    Unit Health: 50 - 250
    Area: 800 - 1300
    Recharge: 14 seconds

1 Alt - Spring - Demeter brings good health and plentiful food to those around her with the coming of spring. The gods and men around her regain their vigour and enjoy the fruits of springtime. All attackers within her radius gain a small percentage of their health back each second they are in range. Harvest might be a bit complicated, so this is a simpler alternative power. A less powerful version of healing light, this would have an effect on all troops in a range based on a percentage of health.

Power: 0.1%/sec - 0.85%/sec
    Area: 800 - 1600
    Duration: 5 - 9 seconds
    Recharge: 14 Seconds

2 - Frost/Winter - Demeter curses the buildings of the city with a freezing frost of winter, causing them to stop working for a short period of time. They are not permanently converted like with Aphrodite and not damaged like with rot, but a slow spreading effect stops them from shooting fire/arrows/boulders/etc. or spawning troops. Would not have an impact on monuments or houses. As more buildings are changed, the spread is random. The range would increase most quickly, followed by the power and duration.

Power: 1 - 7 buildings
    Range: 250 - 900
    Duration: 5 Seconds - 8.5 seconds
    Recharge: 14 seconds - 10 seconds

Ultimate Ability:

Reap - All defending troops (not including heroes) in the city die instantly and are not respawned as skeletons, as even Hades knows better than to cross her. Barracks are also unable to produce troops for a short period of time afterwards (hence duration time). Good for just the moment when you might be overwhelmed or need a slight reprieve to manoeuvre. A similar end as Hawk Storm, though it totally wipes all troops out, doesn't damage buildings, and doesn't have the same long lasting protection.

Duration: 0.5 - 6.5 seconds

Temple:

Health: 4,000 - 53,000

Growth: Temple spaces cannot be cleared. When destroyed, temples are replaced by an indestructible patch of plants. This effect is not reversible when Demeter temple is destroyed.

House:

Health: 500 - 7600

Growth: Adjacent buildings and spaces are covered in vines and other such plant things, offering a thin layer of protection that continually grows stronger and repairs itself when damaged until the house is taken out. Repairs only apply to growth, not the building itself. The base health of the growth would increase more slowly than the upper range. It would act like a cross between a Poseidon and Apollo house. Is not based on strength of adjacent buildings.

Plant Health: 100 - 300 --> 1000 - 7000
    Increase/Healing: 2.5%/sec --> 7%/sec

(For example, at level 1 with a 2.5% increase level with base 100, the growth would grow approximately 3 health every second, compounding to reach full potential, assuming no damage taken, in around one minute. Pardon my math on that one in case it is wrong.)
    Everything is awesome truly
    But i have a doubt about the reap power. If that is used will Hades not be able to use his reanimate power? If so, then would it not be a disadvantage for the attacker himself? (in the case that he is using Hades)

Leave a comment:

• Clytemnestra
    replied
    Originally posted by Athene View Post
    hmm demeter should be melee, but with a little range like hera. ability two, should be that she hides in the grass and becomes invisible for a duration. ability one, she summons some nature spirits to fight for her. Ultimate power, should be that she summons her two dragons to fight for her. attack rate should be .5 seconds, and damage from 70-2,500. health should be from 5,000-80,000. health and damage balance short range, and quick attacks and powerful abilities. for temple, it could be that it provides a hiding boost, not showing where the temples are, except for itself. houses, makes one of the bordering buildings invisible, or itself. speed should be 21. for appearance, I don't know, but her weapon should be a scythe. monument, summons nature spirits, 10 every 20 seconds.
    I think that would be a good idea
    the extremely low damage and health would balance it's powerful abilites, fast attack rate, and high damage. The monument isn't too powerful. the houses, I originally considered making all adjacent buildings invisible, but that would be overpowered. oh yeah and actually the temple just makes two of any buildings invisible.
    oh and both dragons' health and damage should be 3/4 of cerberus's.
    You bring up interesting concepts, but I do have a few thoughts.

1. For the ability two of invisibility, I do worry that it would not fit Demeter as a goddess of agriculture. Also, it just seems to be Aphrodite's Awe Ultimate Ability.

2. For the first ability, how powerful would you make the spirits? Would it be a few powerful or many weak? Would they spawn randomly like Hades or in formation like Athena? Would they be ranged or melee?

3. For her Ultimate Ability of two dragons, I do appreciate the inclusion of mythological elements into that use of her powers. However, this also just seems to be a reproduction of another ability, creating two Cerberus' like with Hades' ability.

4. For the temple and invisibility, I don't see how that would work. Would an attacker not notice the gap left where the temple would be? I do think that would be an interesting for her, though. Perhaps disguising all of the temples during battle as decorations, and buildings adjacent to a Demeter house would also be disguised as decorations until damaged, not allowing the attacker to know the exact layout of the base until they're on the ground trying to fight their way through. The element of environmental disguise is very interesting, I must say that. Good work!

If you'd like to explain your ideas further, please do. And if you have any comments on my ideas, please do share them.

Thank you for the interesting perspective on Demeter.

Leave a comment:

• Athene
    replied
    hmm demeter should be melee, but with a little range like hera. ability two, should be that she hides in the grass and becomes invisible for a duration. ability one, she summons some nature spirits to fight for her. Ultimate power, should be that she summons her two dragons to fight for her. attack rate should be .5 seconds, and damage from 70-2,500. health should be from 5,000-80,000. health and damage balance short range, and quick attacks and powerful abilities. for temple, it could be that it provides a hiding boost, not showing where the temples are, except for itself. houses, makes one of the bordering buildings invisible, or itself. speed should be 21. for appearance, I don't know, but her weapon should be a scythe. monument, summons nature spirits, 10 every 20 seconds.
    I think that would be a good idea
    the extremely low damage and health would balance it's powerful abilites, fast attack rate, and high damage. The monument isn't too powerful. the houses, I originally considered making all adjacent buildings invisible, but that would be overpowered. oh yeah and actually the temple just makes two of any buildings invisible.
    oh and both dragons' health and damage should be 3/4 of cerberus's.

Leave a comment:

• Clytemnestra
    replied
    erm, maybe that isn't that bad for hades. Well, he's the god of the underworld, and blah blah blah that would mostly just affect zeus. But, yes, if that happens, then it might just end up in an all-out war in olympus. So...
    It was just a bit of extra text to add flavour and allude to one of her more famous myths.

As for the content of the idea itself, do you have any thoughts on what would or wouldn't work? There have already been some very good points made and every opinion is more than welcome to help.

Leave a comment:

• Athene
    replied
    erm, maybe that isn't that bad for hades. Well, he's the god of the underworld, and blah blah blah that would mostly just affect zeus. But, yes, if that happens, then it might just end up in an all-out war in olympus. So...

Leave a comment:

• Clytemnestra
    replied
    Erm, I think the thing about "Hades knowing better than to cross her" isn't exactly true. In the myths, he abducted persephone. And, like I've said, houses and temples's boosts relate to each other; you'll need to choose one or the other.
    For Hades, I used it in the sense that he now knows better. He kidnapped Persephone and Demeter decided to just let the entire world wither away until even Zeus had to intervene. That's a power move.

And as for the houses, I cannot believe I didn't think of that. I do so wish posts could be edited. Would you prefer the temple power or the house power, then? I personally like the temple power a bit more, if only because the house power is a bit too similar to Poseidon's for my liking. It's just difficult to find a new angle for what a house can do, isn't it? Health bonuses, attack, spawning, healing, it's all been done before. At least it is something new, yes?

Leave a comment:

• Athene
    replied
    Originally posted by Clytemnestra View Post
    Poor Demeter has been left out in the cold too long! Of course, it does makes some sense. The mythology surrounding her is varied and her powers are among the most eclectic of the Olympians. That still has not stopped me from having an entirely unqualified opinion of what she might be like in the game.

While not perfect, I do hope it stirs some sort of conversation around this forgotten gem. Please, do give comments and advice if there is any you care to give. I am far from a game developer and have tried to match these to the strengths of other abilities, but that is no guarantee these would work.

Demeter

Appearance: Whatever you will. Incorporate wheat somewhere, obviously. A preferably more natural fibre looking outfit in more earth tones with highlights of gold and a more flowing look. Capes are always appreciated (poor Hades is swishing all alone).

Weapon: A scythe, but with a glowing ranged energy orb like Aphrodite, Hades, Hermes, etc.

Concept: She's a ranged god who turns the world against her enemies.

Beginning Statistics:

Health - 7100 - 77,000
    Strength - 190 - 3,900
    Attack Rate - 1s
    Range - 550
    Speed - 19

Abilities:

1 Alt - Harvest - Demeter brings forth spawning patches of wheat fields in empty spaces around her that enemies cannot move through (similar to decorations that must be destroyed and distract troops). They remain in place until destroyed by defenders. Acting as a distraction method, I imagine the range would be rather short and the fields having a time they can pop up. In the vein of decorations, each field would have somewhere between 50 - 150 health. The power and unit health would increase at a higher rate than the area increases and recharge decreases.

(An alternative concept to this would be a lesser version of the number of fields created, but have them be indestructible/unnoticed by troops and have defenders able to pass through them, but slow the speed of those units passing through by a certain amount while they are in the fields.)

Power: 500 - 7500
    Unit Health: 50 - 250
    Area: 800 - 1300
    Recharge: 14 seconds

1 Alt - Spring - Demeter brings good health and plentiful food to those around her with the coming of spring. The gods and men around her regain their vigour and enjoy the fruits of springtime. All attackers within her radius gain a small percentage of their health back each second they are in range. Harvest might be a bit complicated, so this is a simpler alternative power. A less powerful version of healing light, this would have an effect on all troops in a range based on a percentage of health.

Power: 0.1%/sec - 0.85%/sec
    Area: 800 - 1600
    Duration: 5 - 9 seconds
    Recharge: 14 Seconds

2 - Frost/Winter - Demeter curses the buildings of the city with a freezing frost of winter, causing them to stop working for a short period of time. They are not permanently converted like with Aphrodite and not damaged like with rot, but a slow spreading effect stops them from shooting fire/arrows/boulders/etc. or spawning troops. Would not have an impact on monuments or houses. As more buildings are changed, the spread is random. The range would increase most quickly, followed by the power and duration.

Power: 1 - 7 buildings
    Range: 250 - 900
    Duration: 5 Seconds - 8.5 seconds
    Recharge: 14 seconds - 10 seconds

Ultimate Ability:

Reap - All defending troops (not including heroes) in the city die instantly and are not respawned as skeletons, as even Hades knows better than to cross her. Barracks are also unable to produce troops for a short period of time afterwards (hence duration time). Good for just the moment when you might be overwhelmed or need a slight reprieve to manoeuvre. A similar end as Hawk Storm, though it totally wipes all troops out, doesn't damage buildings, and doesn't have the same long lasting protection.

Duration: 0.5 - 6.5 seconds

Temple:

Health: 4,000 - 53,000

Growth: Temple spaces cannot be cleared. When destroyed, temples are replaced by an indestructible patch of plants. This effect is not reversible when Demeter temple is destroyed.

House:

Health: 500 - 7600

Growth: Adjacent buildings and spaces are covered in vines and other such plant things, offering a thin layer of protection that continually grows stronger and repairs itself when damaged until the house is taken out. Repairs only apply to growth, not the building itself. The base health of the growth would increase more slowly than the upper range. It would act like a cross between a Poseidon and Apollo house. Is not based on strength of adjacent buildings.

Plant Health: 100 - 300 --> 1000 - 7000
    Increase/Healing: 2.5%/sec --> 7%/sec

(For example, at level 1 with a 2.5% increase level with base 100, the growth would grow approximately 3 health every second, compounding to reach full potential, assuming no damage taken, in around one minute. Pardon my math on that one in case it is wrong.)
    Erm, I think the thing about "Hades knowing better than to cross her" isn't exactly true. In the myths, he abducted persephone. And, like I've said, houses and temples's boosts relate to each other; you'll need to choose one or the other.

Leave a comment:

• Orion
    replied
    Tbh, the Reap ability is great too. It's times when my Hermes gets stuck back away while I try to push into the base to the central temple. 80% of the times I lose my patron, the 20% are when I get the central temples and regroup just in time with around 5000 HP left on him. The reap can make it possible to survive a little more and destroy some other defenses like monuments. 👌

Leave a comment:

• Clytemnestra
    replied
    Originally posted by Orion View Post

Well, all ranged deities are good for Hit and Run. And by the range you've suggested for Demeter, and the freeze ability, troops can be slowed down pretty much.
    Oh, I think I see. Freeze would only apply to buildings, not troops. It doesn't turn the towers against troops or cause any damage, it just stops them from working for a short time.

For a hit and run I suppose it could be used well if you used Hades or Aphrodite or Athena to make troops, froze a nearby cluster of towers that would have killed them quickly, and kept going. Aside from that, however, unless there are a few clustered buildings with long range causing a lot of damage, it would be a waste of her ability to freeze towers only to have the gods go by them.

However, the ability would work well for slow push. With Demeter freezing certain powerful defensive structures (if she can get a Medusa tower or Cyclops in range, for example), then she can be used to reduce the damage output of the base and help preserve both the gods and the assisting troops. When one cyclops can ruin an entire mass of assists, wouldn't it be nice for the attacker to have an ability that can stop towers for a time?

I would also like to point out that many players are not in active alliances or come on at hours where making those sorts of massive assists is an impossible task. Designing a god that fits just one style of play would be a bad idea.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X