Demeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demeter

Poor Demeter has been left out in the cold too long! Of course, it does makes some sense. The mythology surrounding her is varied and her powers are among the most eclectic of the Olympians. That still has not stopped me from having an entirely unqualified opinion of what she might be like in the game.

While not perfect, I do hope it stirs some sort of conversation around this forgotten gem. Please, do give comments and advice if there is any you care to give. I am far from a game developer and have tried to match these to the strengths of other abilities, but that is no guarantee these would work.

Demeter

Appearance: Whatever you will. Incorporate wheat somewhere, obviously. A preferably more natural fibre looking outfit in more earth tones with highlights of gold and a more flowing look. Capes are always appreciated (poor Hades is swishing all alone).

Weapon: A scythe, but with a glowing ranged energy orb like Aphrodite, Hades, Hermes, etc.

Concept: She's a ranged god who turns the world against her enemies.

Beginning Statistics:

Health - 7100 - 77,000
    Strength - 190 - 3,900
    Attack Rate - 1s
    Range - 550
    Speed - 19

Abilities:

1 Alt - Harvest - Demeter brings forth spawning patches of wheat fields in empty spaces around her that enemies cannot move through (similar to decorations that must be destroyed and distract troops). They remain in place until destroyed by defenders. Acting as a distraction method, I imagine the range would be rather short and the fields having a time they can pop up. In the vein of decorations, each field would have somewhere between 50 - 150 health. The power and unit health would increase at a higher rate than the area increases and recharge decreases.

(An alternative concept to this would be a lesser version of the number of fields created, but have them be indestructible/unnoticed by troops and have defenders able to pass through them, but slow the speed of those units passing through by a certain amount while they are in the fields.)

Power: 500 - 7500
    Unit Health: 50 - 250
    Area: 800 - 1300
    Recharge: 14 seconds

1 Alt - Spring - Demeter brings good health and plentiful food to those around her with the coming of spring. The gods and men around her regain their vigour and enjoy the fruits of springtime. All attackers within her radius gain a small percentage of their health back each second they are in range. Harvest might be a bit complicated, so this is a simpler alternative power. A less powerful version of healing light, this would have an effect on all troops in a range based on a percentage of health.

Power: 0.1%/sec - 0.85%/sec
    Area: 800 - 1600
    Duration: 5 - 9 seconds
    Recharge: 14 Seconds

2 - Frost/Winter - Demeter curses the buildings of the city with a freezing frost of winter, causing them to stop working for a short period of time. They are not permanently converted like with Aphrodite and not damaged like with rot, but a slow spreading effect stops them from shooting fire/arrows/boulders/etc. or spawning troops. Would not have an impact on monuments or houses. As more buildings are changed, the spread is random. The range would increase most quickly, followed by the power and duration.

Power: 1 - 7 buildings
    Range: 250 - 900
    Duration: 5 Seconds - 8.5 seconds
    Recharge: 14 seconds - 10 seconds

Ultimate Ability:

Reap - All defending troops (not including heroes) in the city die instantly and are not respawned as skeletons, as even Hades knows better than to cross her. Barracks are also unable to produce troops for a short period of time afterwards (hence duration time). Good for just the moment when you might be overwhelmed or need a slight reprieve to manoeuvre. A similar end as Hawk Storm, though it totally wipes all troops out, doesn't damage buildings, and doesn't have the same long lasting protection.

Duration: 0.5 - 6.5 seconds

Temple:

Health: 4,000 - 53,000

Growth: Temple spaces cannot be cleared. When destroyed, temples are replaced by an indestructible patch of plants. This effect is not reversible when Demeter temple is destroyed.

House:

Health: 500 - 7600

Growth: Adjacent buildings and spaces are covered in vines and other such plant things, offering a thin layer of protection that continually grows stronger and repairs itself when damaged until the house is taken out. Repairs only apply to growth, not the building itself. The base health of the growth would increase more slowly than the upper range. It would act like a cross between a Poseidon and Apollo house. Is not based on strength of adjacent buildings.

Plant Health: 100 - 300 --> 1000 - 7000
    Increase/Healing: 2.5%/sec --> 7%/sec

(For example, at level 1 with a 2.5% increase level with base 100, the growth would grow approximately 3 health every second, compounding to reach full potential, assuming no damage taken, in around one minute. Pardon my math on that one in case it is wrong.)
    Last edited by Clytemnestra; November 25, 2020, 02:34 AM.

Originally posted by Clytemnestra View Post
    Poor Demeter has been left out in the cold too long! Of course, it does makes some sense. The mythology surrounding her is varied and her powers are among the most eclectic of the Olympians. That still has not stopped me from having an entirely unqualified opinion of what she might be like in the game.

While not perfect, I do hope it stirs some sort of conversation around this forgotten gem. Please, do give comments and advice if there is any you care to give. I am far from a game developer and have tried to match these to the strengths of other abilities, but that is no guarantee these would work.

Demeter

Appearance: Whatever you will. Incorporate wheat somewhere, obviously. A preferably more natural fibre looking outfit in more earth tones with highlights of gold and a more flowing look. Capes are always appreciated (poor Hades is swishing all alone).

Weapon: A scythe, but with a glowing ranged energy orb like Aphrodite, Hades, Hermes, etc.

Beginning Statistics:

Health - 7100 - 77,000
    Strength - 190 - 3,900
    Attack Rate - 1s
    Range - 550
    Speed - 19

Abilities:

1 Alt - Harvest - Demeter brings forth spawning patches of wheat fields in empty spaces around her that enemies cannot move through (similar to decorations that must be destroyed and distract troops). They remain in place until destroyed by defenders. Acting as a distraction method, I imagine the range would be rather short and the fields having a time they can pop up. In the vein of decorations, each field would have somewhere between 50 - 150 health. The power and unit health would increase at a higher rate than the area increases and recharge decreases.

(An alternative concept to this would be a lesser version of the number of fields created, but have them be indestructible/unnoticed by troops and have defenders able to pass through them, but slow the speed of those units passing through by a certain amount while they are in the fields.)

1 Alt - Spring - Demeter brings good health and plentiful food to those around her with the coming of spring. The gods and men around her regain their vigour and enjoy the fruits of springtime. All attackers within her radius gain a small percentage of their health back each second they are in range. Harvest might be a bit complicated, so this is a simpler alternative power. A less powerful version of healing light, this would have an effect on all troops in a range based on a percentage of health.

2 - Frost/Winter - Demeter curses the buildings of the city with a freezing frost of winter, causing them to stop working for a short period of time. They are not permanently converted like with Aphrodite and not damaged like with rot, but a slow spreading effect stops them from shooting fire/arrows/boulders/etc. or spawning troops. Would not have an impact on monuments or houses. As more buildings are changed, the spread is random. The range would increase most quickly, followed by the power and duration.

Ultimate Ability:

Reap - All defending troops (not including heroes) in the city die instantly and are not respawned as skeletons, as even Hades knows better than to cross her. Barracks are also unable to produce troops for a short period of time afterwards (hence duration time). Good for just the moment when you might be overwhelmed or need a slight reprieve to manoeuvre. A similar end as Hawk Storm, though it totally wipes all troops out, doesn't damage buildings, and doesn't have the same long lasting protection.

Temple:

Growth: Temple spaces cannot be cleared. When destroyed, temples are replaced by an indestructible patch of plants. This effect is not reversible when Demeter temple is destroyed.

House:

Growth: Adjacent buildings and spaces are covered in vines and other such plant things, offering a thin layer of protection that continually grows stronger and repairs itself when damaged until the house is taken out. Repairs only apply to growth, not the building itself. The base health of the growth would increase more slowly than the upper range. It would act like a cross between a Poseidon and Apollo house. Is not based on strength of adjacent buildings.

(For example, at level 1 with a 2.5% increase level with base 100, the growth would grow approximately 3 health every second, compounding to reach full potential, assuming no damage taken, in around one minute. Pardon my math on that one in case it is wrong.)
    Nice ideas and so creative work. AdmirationsπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€β€οΈβ€οΈβ€οΈ
    Her first alt ability (harvest) feels similar to re-animation of hades. Her the other first alt power(spring) is so awesome and as it allows to regenerate health of troops without healing light (as it's 1 time use) this will be valuable to regenerate healths of low hp gods like aphro, arte, hermes by a bit lesser than healing light without consuming healing light while in hot fights and it's awesome as it boosts attck similar to haste of hermes. I like spring ability. πŸ˜€πŸ˜€Also i think you meant in ultimate about destroying all crowds in base when ulti of demeter activates. If it so, i think it's a little unfair for defending side as her ulti slows down producing troops also. Also hawk storm wipes crowd in a limited area. But this ulti destroys all crowd in village. So i feels like unbalanced there. What's the boost of demeter hoses mate? Sorry I can't understand it. πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€” Also how deos she become a range god with a scythe? I can't think of it. Deos she attck with a long scythe by keeping distance or sth like that? Awesome effort. Thanks you. This is only my ideas. Correct me if I am wrong. Good luck.....!!!!! πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

​​​​​​

​​​
    Last edited by Black Panther; November 25, 2020, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Panther View Post

Nice ideas and so creative work. AdmirationsπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€β€οΈβ€οΈβ€οΈ
      Her first alt ability (harvest) feels similar to re-animation of hades. Her the other first alt power(spring) is so awesome and as it allows to regenerate health of troops without healing light (as it's 1 time use) this will be valuable to regenerate healths of low hp gods like aphro, arte, hermes by a bit lesser than healing light without consuming healing light while in hot fights and it's awesome as it boosts attck similar to haste of hermes. I like spring ability. πŸ˜€πŸ˜€Also i think you meant in ultimate about destroying all crowds in base when ulti of demeter activates. If it so, i think it's a little unfair for defending side as her ulti slows down producing troops also. Also hawk storm wipes crowd in a limited area. But this ulti destroys all crowd in village. So i feels like unbalanced there. What's the boost of demeter hoses mate? Sorry I can't understand it. πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€” Also how deos she become a range god with a scythe? I can't think of it. Deos she attck with a long scythe by keeping distance or sth like that? Awesome effort. Thanks you. This is only my ideas. Correct me if I am wrong. Good luck.....!!!!! πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

Thank you for your feedback!

To start with, I'll explain what seemed confusing. Her scythe would be similar in function to Hades' little staff, in that it's an aesthetic item she holds, but she shoots a golden/green/etc, coloured orb from her other hand. I will explain that more clearly.

As for her houses, aside from the appearances, they basically function as a weaker version of a Poseidon house that is self-healing and starts at a lower health level than its maximum potential. So in a level one scenario, to use the numbers given, the growth/shield would start at 100 health and slowly grow to become 300 as time passes. Every time it is damaged, it continually heals a bit of that damage to the shell itself. All damage to the building is first taken from the shell itself. So if Ares with 1,000 attack hit a building with 1,000 health and a Demeter growth with 300 health, the building would then have 300 health left over because the house's "shield" protected them from that 300 damage. Subsequent attacks would do much more damage, but the shield will grow back every second, taking off just a bit of damage off the top as a percentage (determined by the house's level). So on the next Ares swing in that scenario, his attack is still 1,000 and the building health is now 300, but the Demeter growth has only regenerated about 3 health, meaning the Ares attack would still do 997 damage to the building. Still, what might have taken one hit took two, which is part of her theme of slowing down the enemy and using the environment to your advantage.

I hope that was more clear, but knowing me, it was probably even more confusing.

Now, thank you very much for your liking of Spring. Demeter isn't really a damage dealer, as only one of her abilities actually deals damage. It more loosely fits my concept of having her as someone turning the world against her enemies, but does fit her more classical interpretations as the bringer of the seasons and the mother that feeds the world. I see this ability as a better help against things like the Archimedes towers and arrow towers, with small damages that add up considerably over time.

For Harvest, I do see how it might seem similar to Hades, but the fields she summons do not attack or move. They sit there and block the way, needing to be destroyed or gone around so as to slow enemies, sort of like bringing your own city decorations with you. If anything, I may have made it too weak, but it's designed as a delaying tactic and shield to help with crowd control. Aphrodite is this game's only real experiment with environmental control, but I wanted to take that in a new direction with my powers, as it fits Demeter more.

And yes, I worried that Reap was a bit much, but I will try to justify myself and see if it makes sense. So for one thing, it does absolutely nothing to buildings. It only has an effect on troops, and the power only stops troops from newly spawning for a short time. This differs from Hawk Storm in part because it kills them all at once, it isn't based on doing damage (allowing stronger troops through), and it stops new troops from coming for a short time. It also does no damage to any buildings and, again, is instant. It doesn't last like Hawk Storm, which can go on for many seconds, keeping the gods clear of most troop threats for a while. Think of it as a sort of forced Regroup for the enemy defenders, a reset button for the gods to move around as they need to and focus on the base itself rather than cutting through hordes of troops. Of course, this also allows city troops to make new formations other than the vulnerable clusters they were in before. I see it as being particularly effective against Aphrodite or Hades environments and buildings and much less so around Artemis and Hermes.

I hope I've answered this for you and everyone else wondering about these. If the house explanation is still confusing (remember: self-healing weak Poseidon bubble), I'm terribly sorry. And if Reap still feels like too much or Harvest still seems redundant, feel free to give your own ideas on how to improve them or for new abilities altogether. This was just a work borne of Demeter being one of three gods not yet put in the game. I simply cannot wait for her to join, whenever that is!

Comment

leroy Wow Clyte, it is clear that you have put a lot of thought into this idea, and I hope that the devs take notice. I like all of the proposed abilities, yet I am a little bit torn about reap still. I really like the idea of having another utility god, rather than just a straight up damage dealer. Great job!
        Alliance- Heroes of Olympus 2.0!

Comment

Originally posted by Fanusen View Post
          leroy Wow Clyte, it is clear that you have put a lot of thought into this idea, and I hope that the devs take notice. I like all of the proposed abilities, yet I am a little bit torn about reap still. I really like the idea of having another utility god, rather than just a straight up damage dealer. Great job!
          Thank you very much! I also hope we get more utility gods soon. While I have seen some disappointed with Hermes, I do think abilities based on things other than damage adds a whole new dimension of gameplay and strategy.

And while I do personally like Reap, on further reflection and seeing that now two people think it might have problems, I do think I'll think on changing it more. I am also considering trying a different concept altogether, though I do like her abilities having something to do with it damaging troops. There is just the trouble of making her abilities feel distinct in form and function from those that already exist.

Comment

Thank you very much! I also hope we get more utility gods soon. While I have seen some disappointed with Hermes, I do think abilities based on things other than damage adds a whole new dimension of gameplay and strategy.

And while I do personally like Reap, on further reflection and seeing that now two people think it might have problems, I do think I'll think on changing it more. I am also considering trying a different concept altogether, though I do like her abilities having something to do with it damaging troops. There is just the trouble of making her abilities feel distinct in form and function from those that already exist.
            How can you possibly be disappointed with Hermes? That god help create a brand new strategy that a large number of people use! Hermes is really grest.

Comment

Originally posted by Orion View Post

How can you possibly be disappointed with Hermes? That god help create a brand new strategy that a large number of people use! Hermes is really grest.
              Oh, I have nothing against Hermes. I greatly appreciate how he has created an entirely new way to attack and added speed as something players can now play around with. To be entirely clear, I do not actually have Hermes. I have simply heard from alliance mates that he doesn't fit well with them, though that could be because he is a bit awkward to fit into old styles of playing that established players have been honing for years now.

I can only imagine how useful Regroup is.

Is there any feedback you would like to give on Demeter? This is a complete work in progress and I am more than happy to hear new thoughts and ideas from other players.

Comment

Oh, I have nothing against Hermes. I greatly appreciate how he has created an entirely new way to attack and added speed as something players can now play around with. To be entirely clear, I do not actually have Hermes. I have simply heard from alliance mates that he doesn't fit well with them, though that could be because he is a bit awkward to fit into old styles of playing that established players have been honing for years now.

I can only imagine how useful Regroup is.

Is there any feedback you would like to give on Demeter? This is a complete work in progress and I am more than happy to hear new thoughts and ideas from other players.
                Alliances focus in destroying bases by making armies, which is something you can't do when the attacker is using Hit and Run, that's why most prefer Slow Push

Comment

Alliances focus in destroying bases by making armies, which is something you can't do when the attacker is using Hit and Run, that's why most prefer Slow Push
                  I am struggling to understand what this has to do with Demeter. Do you think she would be most useful as in a burst/hit and run style of gameplay? Do you wish she were more useful in a slow push?

What about her doesn't make her suitable for slow pushing? Perhaps I am just not seeing the point you are making.

Comment

Assist in hit and run strategy very useful too since they can slow down the army

Comment

I am struggling to understand what this has to do with Demeter. Do you think she would be most useful as in a burst/hit and run style of gameplay? Do you wish she were more useful in a slow push?

What about her doesn't make her suitable for slow pushing? Perhaps I am just not seeing the point you are making.
                      Well, all ranged deities are good for Hit and Run. And by the range you've suggested for Demeter, and the freeze ability, troops can be slowed down pretty much.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosFromIMMORTALS View Post

Assist in hit and run strategy very useful too since they can slow down the army
                        Armies during slow push look majestic! The ally takes interest in assisting at such sites

Comment

Well, all ranged deities are good for Hit and Run. And by the range you've suggested for Demeter, and the freeze ability, troops can be slowed down pretty much.
                          Oh, I think I see. Freeze would only apply to buildings, not troops. It doesn't turn the towers against troops or cause any damage, it just stops them from working for a short time.

For a hit and run I suppose it could be used well if you used Hades or Aphrodite or Athena to make troops, froze a nearby cluster of towers that would have killed them quickly, and kept going. Aside from that, however, unless there are a few clustered buildings with long range causing a lot of damage, it would be a waste of her ability to freeze towers only to have the gods go by them.

However, the ability would work well for slow push. With Demeter freezing certain powerful defensive structures (if she can get a Medusa tower or Cyclops in range, for example), then she can be used to reduce the damage output of the base and help preserve both the gods and the assisting troops. When one cyclops can ruin an entire mass of assists, wouldn't it be nice for the attacker to have an ability that can stop towers for a time?

I would also like to point out that many players are not in active alliances or come on at hours where making those sorts of massive assists is an impossible task. Designing a god that fits just one style of play would be a bad idea.

Comment

Tbh, the Reap ability is great too. It's times when my Hermes gets stuck back away while I try to push into the base to the central temple. 80% of the times I lose my patron, the 20% are when I get the central temples and regroup just in time with around 5000 HP left on him. The reap can make it possible to survive a little more and destroy some other defenses like monuments. πŸ‘Œ

Comment

Demeter

Beginning Statistics:

Health - 7100 - 77,000
                              Strength - 190 - 3,900
                              Attack Rate - 1s
                              Range - 550
                              Speed - 19

Abilities:

Ultimate Ability:

Temple:

House:

Erm, I think the thing about "Hades knowing better than to cross her" isn't exactly true. In the myths, he abducted persephone. And, like I've said, houses and temples's boosts relate to each other; you'll need to choose one or the other.

Comment

Working...
                              X