Am I doing the right thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I doing the right thing?

I play GoO because it’s fun. I’m somewhat competitive but I’m not a very serious player that gets perturbed by others that help me by going mustang and attacking wherever they feel like…as long as they don’t do boneheaded things (you know what I mean).
    Some players insist that you stick close to their gods and protect them or fight beside them. Some players are hard for me to follow and have unusual strategies.
    In some cases, I’m scolded (sometimes nicely) for doing my own thing. As most will tell you, I assist WAY more than I attack (I love assisting) approximately 20 to 1 or more. I don’t want to anger anyone by dropping troops in places they don’t want me to, but I see no point in trying to direct someone else especially when they are as helpful as I can be.
    When I am specifically ask NOT to stray from the sides of the gods, I feel restricted and will usually stop helping that person…even avoiding playing the game while that person is playing. In extreme cases, I’ll leave the alliance and try to find another one.
    In this case, the person scolding me is someone I get along with usually…and I enjoy the alliance, too.
    I don’t want to leave…but if I have to avoid the game because of a member, I may have to go searching for another alliance.

Am I being too sensitive? Or am I not a serious enough player to be in an alliance?

Just tell them to use the flags more

Comment

Well since youre asking, yes, you're being too sensitive in my opinion. Just bc you love assisting doesn't make you any better than other players, and you said yourself that sometimes they're asking you nicely - so at some level it seems you already know the answer.

I've seen you in game get upset when ppl politely ask you not to drop random tents or whatever. There's a difference in assisting and actually helping - if your assists are detracting from the attacker then you're clearly not helping them. Most ppl just want skeletons surrounding the gods bc it is neutral...ie you will either help them or you will at least not get in their way bc skeletons aren't charmeable and random corner tents pull the horde in a direction that may not align with what the attacker wants.

Comment

I’d prefer not to help those that don’t appreciate my help. I doubt you’ve seen me play much. If you have, you’d know that most of the time I can be very helpful. If you think I should refrain from helping you, I don’t mind at all. But I’m not gonna ruin my fun by adhering to personal preferences. I’d rather sit it out. No problem with that, is there?
        If you were thirsty and I brought you a cup of water, but you wanted beer…just say “no thank you”. Simple as that. No hurt feelings. But don’t tell me to go fetch you a beer.

Comment

I'm not even going to follow the made up water/beer scenario bc I've seen enough of your play in game to where I don't need fictional scenarios. I've seen how you get all upset when someone politely - key word there - asks you to not place random tents/corner tents.

Youre only thinking about it from your perspective....not about about how your random taps can actually make the player's attack harder. An assister can ruin an attack just as easily they can help win one. Assisting isn't rocket science, just help where you can and otherwise don't mess up the attacker, idk about whatever personal preference you're referencing.

And no. No one cares if you sit it out, play, or don't play. People only care when you help or hinder their play experience. If they're reasonably vocal and polite about it, you don't have some special platform to justify being mad at them because "you're so helpful."

Comment

Originally posted by Rocko View Post
            I'm not even going to follow the made up water/beer scenario bc I've seen enough of your play in game to where I don't need fictional scenarios. I've seen how you get all upset when someone politely - key word there - asks you to not place random tents/corner tents.

Youre only thinking about it from your perspective....not about about how your random taps can actually make the player's attack harder. An assister can ruin an attack just as easily they can help win one. Assisting isn't rocket science, just help where you can and otherwise don't mess up the attacker, idk about whatever personal preference you're referencing.

And no. No one cares if you sit it out, play, or don't play. People only care when you help or hinder their play experience. If they're reasonably vocal and polite about it, you don't have some special platform to justify being mad at them because "you're so helpful."
            Your opinion is noted and you’re the type of person that’s far more competitive than I am.
            That means, you’d suggest I find a less competitive alliance.
            thanks for your opinion.

Comment

Im not competitive anymore, not since the "heroes of olympus" series of updates 😆

But if I lose an attack, I'd prefer for it to be my own fault and not because I was battling the map, the gang of heroes, AND my own assisters. I think most players would prefer it that way.

Yes, a less competitive alliance would probably suit you well. A 50-100 or non-leaderboard alliance would probably drool over a lvl 110ish that likes to farm assists.

Comment

Im not competitive anymore, not since the "heroes of olympus" series of updates 😆

But if I lose an attack, I'd prefer for it to be my own fault and not because I was battling the map, the gang of heroes, AND my own assisters. I think most players would prefer it that way.

Yes, a less competitive alliance would probably suit you well. A 50-100 or non-leaderboard alliance would probably drool over a lvl 110ish that likes to farm assists.
                I'm not “farming” assists. I just enjoy it more. Whether or not I get nectar is a mute point. I wish I could get gold and level up my gods some…but I’d still mostly pick easy battles, because I’m not a fantastic player. I’ve had lower level players (newbies) enthralled by my ability but most level 100+ players are better than I am.

Comment

?.. Rocko's got it right. If you're assisting someone, why would you want to make attacks harder by corner tenting or whatever else you might be doing? If the player asks nicely to do something when assisting, just do as asked :P And if you don't want to do that, then just don't assist, I guess. No problem.

Comment

I am also with rocko side. Losing because your own alliance member is doing thing that will greatly negatively impact your attack is very annoying

Comment

Each player likes being assisted in different ways. Some like skeletons being dropped next to Gods. Some army of archers/tents (after aphro mon is down), etc. In the alliance I am in I help each person the way they like being helped, or rarely the way I see best(ex: I would go for a grogon slowly killing the gods if the Gods can't reach it). So I guess just stick to how players like being assisted, not do whatever you feel like doing, and there is nothing wrong if they told you how they prefer being assisted.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike5 View Post
                        Each player likes being assisted in different ways. Some like skeletons being dropped next to Gods. Some army of archers/tents (after aphro mon is down), etc. In the alliance I am in I help each person the way they like being helped, or rarely the way I see best(ex: I would go for a grogon slowly killing the gods if the Gods can't reach it). So I guess just stick to how players like being assisted, not do whatever you feel like doing, and there is nothing wrong if they told you how they prefer being assisted.
                        I do see your point and agree somewhat.
                        My issue is, there are always options and different ways to go about attacking. I get bored with the same old approach on every battle and will try new things. Some players don’t mind. Others get bent out of shape.
                        Wwhen I get help, I’m glad to get it. I’m not always aware of what others are doing (got my hands full) so it’s not even apparent sometimes if someone does a derogatory drop that isn’t helpful at all. Even so, I rarely take it seriously. It’s just a game.

Comment

So you're basically saying that you'll assist how you want regardless of whether or not it's helpful to the attacker - for your own entertainments sake. Even if someone POLITELY asks you to do this/don't do that.

Tell us again how "helpful" you are....bc im really confused as to how you've come to this conclusion.

Again, you would probably benefit from joining a very non-competitive alliance. They will be appreciative of the fact a lvl 100+ joined and likely wouldnt know any different abt how/when you mess up someone's attack for your own fun.

Comment

So you're basically saying that you'll assist how you want regardless of whether or not it's helpful to the attacker - for your own entertainments sake. Even if someone POLITELY asks you to do this/don't do that.

Tell us again how "helpful" you are....bc im really confused as to how you've come to this conclusion.

Again, you would probably benefit from joining a very non-competitive alliance. They will be appreciative of the fact a lvl 100+ joined and likely wouldnt know any different abt how/when you mess up someone's attack for your own fun.
                            you obviously don’t know me nor how I roll.

Comment

Lol well we all know you've posted about how "helpful" you think you are, even though you apparently keep getting corrected by alliance members.

I just dont see how you dont understand that someones attack is THEIR attack. It isn't your opportunity to play around...if you want to play around, start your own attack and do whatever you like.

Comment

Working...
                              X